Friday, September 21, 2007

Cinema Still Life: Gender Benders

I was looking through Kim Morgan's MSN Movies Filter the other day and saw her post on Pirate Performances complete with a picture of the poster from Douglas Fairbanks The Black Pirate.

I had the same thought I've always had looking at that poster: "He looks like he's wearing a dress." Now I love Fairbanks but the costume seems a bit bizarre. A little silk black two strap number for a pirate? I guess. But Kim didn't post the best possible pic to show this. To the right is my favorite.

Go ahead, click on it to enlarge. I've not altered it in any way, except for the usual filmstrip frame that accompanies Cinema Still Life photos. Is it just me or does he look like he's suffering from a bad case of gynecomastia? And the shoulder straps?

For my second mirror image I draw my inspiration from If Charlie Parker was a Gunslinger there'd be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats where I'm pleased to hear that Kimberly Lindbergs of Cinebeats is now a regular contributor.

Her first official contribution was this shot of Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth boarding a plane in 1946, around the time of The Lady from Shanghai.

My post has them from the same time, only switching chairs, Rita's Orson and Orson is Rita, only Orson's not as lovely and in no way resembles a meter maid.




As always, click on photos to enlarge.