Wednesday, April 28, 2010

And in the end...

...none of this means anything. This post has been a long time coming. In the past few months my productivity here has dropped off gradually, but not dramatically, and I find myself questioning more and more what any of it means and what value any of it holds. Not much, I think. I have stated both here and on Facebook my desire to complete a short film (one I'm not sure I even understand) and a story for a screenplay as well as the desire to find better paying work to provide for my family and make me a better father and husband. Right now, just now in fact, in this moment, Cinema Styles stands in the way of that.

I have to put it aside, not indefinitely mind you, or even for an oppressively long period, just for a little while. Maybe two months, maybe only two weeks. I'd like to announce how long Cinema Styles will be idle but the truth is, I don't know. I do know I am not foolhardy enough to abandon something that has been as rewarding to me as this blog and so I assure you, I will not. I just need to finish some things up and kick-start a few others. For that to happen, I need to stop spending days tensing myself up because I can't think of anything good to write and then thinking of something, writing half of it and abandoning it only to start the whole process over with another piece that will end up in the same ashcan. And for what? I mean, really, there comes a time when reality makes itself known and announces loudly, "It's just a blog." What's more meaningful is when you finally hear it.

I also know that reading the posts of others and commenting on said posts often provides me with inspiration so let me also apologize preemptively if all of this turns out to be much ado about nothing. To wit, don't be surprised if three days from now I put up a new piece. Such is the way of fleeting inspiration and if it does come, I won't suppress it. But if it doesn't, I'm not going to force it, and that's the main thing I'm attempting to state with this post.

I will keep posting on The Invisible Edge for a couple of reasons. One, I have never not enjoyed it. Sometimes that has been the case here but there, never, not in over two years now (don't go by the archives dates, I'm constantly shifting, changing and deleting posts in an effort to simplify the format). I always enjoy sharing the bizarre photographic ephemera I come across in my casual searches of public libraries and university archives. And two, it's effortless. I mean, really, I find a pic, save it and post it. I don't even add captions to most of them anymore. Each post literally takes seconds to complete.

As for Unexplained Cinema, I don't know. I'm not sure how many people find any value in it (or if I even do) but it is so low maintenance for me that I can't imagine bothering to suspend it or shut it down. If I post there again, great, if not, no big deal. It is my favorite template design though of all the ones I've created (if you scroll down the page it is intended to mimic frames in a film strip, hence, no sidebars) so I definitely will never get rid of it entirely.

And that's that. I will see all of you on Facebook, at The Invisible Edge, at your blogs and websites or just... around. I'll return here too, in a bit, once I get my bearings. See you then.

********************

P.S. - My apologies, but the comments for this post are closed. Thanks.