Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Deja Vu All Over Again

Have you ever passed by something and thought of a movie? I have. In fact it happens everyday I return from work (I'm a secret agent for a super-secret international organization of really cool spies). Anyway, I work in Washington D.C. so I'm not talking about thinking of Independence Day every time you see the White House or living in San Francisco and thinking of Invasion of the Body Snatchers every time you see the TransAmerica building or living in New York and thinking of every apocalyptic science fiction film ever made when you see the Statue of Liberty. No, no I mean something that has nothing whatsoever to do with a movie and yet you can't help but think of a specific film every time you see it.

For me it's the Swiss Embassy. I walk past it each night. The other night when getting off work I snapped some photos of it. The photos suck but there's a reason for that. The subject in question is a good hundred yards from the gate so I had to stick the camera through the gate, zoom in and jack the light filter up since it was dusk. Fortunately I was not besieged by Swiss guards wielding army knives.

Here's the photo:



And what do I think of? Lord of the Rings: Return of the King of course. Every time. It's that damn white tree. I can't get close enough to inspect it but it's metal or plastic or something and it must mean something to the Swiss but I don't know what. I guess I could just look it up but I rather it remain a mystery. The mystery of the bizarre white tree sculpture. Anyone else have any movie moments in their everyday life?

Oh yeah I almost forgot, the Swiss may make precise time pieces but their embassy employees suck at picking up their papers.