Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Knock around a little at Cinema Styles first official Blogathon




July 2009 will mark the fiftieth anniversary of the release of Plan 9 From Outer Space, a magnificent, wondrous and beautiful movie. And how does one celebrate a fiftieth anniversary? With a blogathon of course! Yes, I'm finally giving in and hosting a blogathon after decades of blogging here at Cinema Styles. If you'd told me all those years ago that one day I'd be hosting a blogathon I'd have laughed at you, told you you're crazy and then possibly, depending on my mood, either slapped you or spit on your face. Fortunately I don't do that kind of thing to people anymore and also, you're not standing in front of me.

So, is it a Plan 9 blogathon? No. An Ed Wood blogathon? No again. See, I don't want it to be too limiting. I want people's imagination and creativity to flourish so I'm calling it The Spirit of Ed Wood Blogathon. The idea is if you want to write about Plan 9 you can. Or Ed Wood. Or any underground, cheaply made movie that was filled with heart, or just incompetence. It can even be about good movies too. Carnival of Souls was made on the cheap in the can-do spirit of Ed Wood and actually succeeded. So basically I leave it up to you. Let the spirit of that unstoppable force of cinema, Ed Wood, be your guide, not me.

As for the dates of the blogathon it will run from Monday July 6 through Sunday July 12.

Don't forget! July is the fiftieth anniversary of the release of Plan 9 from Outer Space. Celebrate it by taking part in the Cinema Styles Spirit of Ed Wood blogathon!

For your convenience, here are banners you can use at your site: