Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I forgot what I was going to write...

... so here's this crappy post instead.



It's been busy, very busy, in fact, settling into a new job and moving our daughter 500 miles to get her college career rolling. As a result, I haven't had the time I'd like to sit down and compose a decent post. But that's not the real problem. The real problem is that, in between the moving about from state to state and job to job (which makes me sound a bit like Andy Travis, in case, baby, you've ever wondered) I've come up with many a tantalizing prospect for a post, only to forget it when it comes time to sit down and flesh it out. "Ah now," I'll say to myself as I stroke my chin, "I was going to write a piece on..." And then? Nothing.

All I can gather at this point is that Flickhead wrote something about some movie or actress or thing out there and I thought, "Hey, yeah, I can expand on that!" And then, right after that, because my mind is trying to process multiple life-changing adjustments at once, I thought, "I wonder if Flickhead's written anything lately." Because, see, I forgot I even had an idea from a Flickhead post, or comment, or Facebook status update or comment on one of my Facebook status updates. Shit, I don't know. Seriously, I don't know.

And then I'm almost positive Bill did something funny or stupid or vile and I thought "cool" or "yeah" or "fuck him!" I can't remember. Or maybe that was Arbogast. I don't know. I do know the other day, yesterday I think, I saw that Rod or Marilyn, or maybe both, reviewed The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant and I immediately got an idea for a Fassbinder piece. No, really, I'm not just making this up for a joke. This whole post is real, however comical my mental misfortune may be. I had an idea and I swear to you on Fritz Lang's monocle, I don't know what in the hell it was. All I can come up with is "Frische birnen!" That's all I got and I know it was better than that. But still, there it is in my head. "Frische birnen! Frische birnen!" That's not a post!

On the 500 mile drive back from college this weekend, at night(!), my wife and I discussed all kind of cool stuff but nothing I could really make a post out of at this point. We talked about No Country for Old Men and Blood Meridian and Cormac McCarthy's world outlook and it was all great but I don't think I can accurately, or even very enthusiastically, regurgitate all of it here. It's one of those things where the conversation is so great you feel spent afterwards and don't have a desire to start the whole thing up again because you covered all the bases.

And so here I am, writing away about not having any idea what to write about and doing it all with not a shred of ironic intention. I'm not trying to make this into some clever 8 1/2 movie blogger post, I'm trying to apologize for being so flaky and sporadic on the post front. I swear, I'm going to remember one of the ideas I had soon and write it up. Or maybe I'll just write up some October stuff early (it's all I can remember at this point but I'm trying to save it all up - just watch, by October, I'll forget all of it). Either way, that's the story here, for now. Just thought I'd keep you updated. Until next time,

Frische birnen! Frische birnen!