Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Tagging of Jonathan Lapper by that Non-Coward Cinephile

I've been tagged so I guess I'm it. Brian (Cinephile to youse guys) over at Bubblegum-Aesthetics has tagged me for a meme. At first, second and third glance I was utterly confused by it. But by the fourth glance I started to get it. If you're like me (six-foot, sculpted body, dark and broodingly handsome, effortlessly charming) you find the idea of memes fascinating. The term itself came from the eminant Richard Dawkins (maybe I'll tag him) who coined it in 1976 as a cultural bit of information that propagates itself like an evolving cell until finally it takes over the landscape and cannot be reversed. So anyway, I do my part then tag a couple of others who hopefully won't hate me for tagging them. Here's the rather lengthy intro and explanation:

There are a set of questions below that are all of the form, “The best [subgenre] [medium] in [genre] is…”. Copy the questions, and before answering them, you may modify them in a limited way, carrying out no more than two of these operations:

You can leave them exactly as is.

You can delete any one question


You can mutate either the genre, medium, or subgenre of any one question. For instance, you could change “The best time travel novel in SF/Fantasy is…” to “The best time travel novel in Westerns is…”, or “The best time travel movie in SF/Fantasy is…”, or “The best romance novel in SF/Fantasy is…”.


You can add a completely new question of your choice to the end of the list, as long as it is still in the form “The best [subgenre] [medium] in [genre] is…”.

You must have at least one question in your set, or you’ve gone extinct, and you must be able to answer it yourself, or you’re not viable.

Then answer your possibly mutant set of questions. Please do include a link back to the blog you got them from, to simplify tracing the ancestry, and include these instructions.

Finally, pass it along to any number of your fellow bloggers. Remember, though, your success as a Darwinian replicator is going to be measured by the propagation of your variants, which is going to be a function of both the interest your well-honed questions generate and the number of successful attempts at reproducing them.

The initial statements/questions:

My parent is: NONE.

1. The best time travel novel in SF/Fantasy is…The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers.

2. The best romantic movie in historical fiction is…Cold Mountain.

3. The best sexy song in rock is…Gloria, by Patti Smith.

By the time it got to me from Cinephile it was this:

My parent is: The Digital Sextant (by way of pharyngula)

1. The best sexy song in rock is..."Kiss," by Prince and the Revolution

2. The best mockumentary movie in comedy is...24-Hour Party People

3. The best fantasy melodrama in television is...Buffy The Vampire Slayer



So here goes:

My parent is: Cinephile (you owe me a lot of back birthday presents Dad)


1. The best epic song (over six minutes in length) in rock is... How Soon is Now, The Smiths

2. The best mockumentary movie in comedy is... Best in Show ("He went after her like she was made out of ham")

3. The best End of the World movie in Science Fiction is... The Day the Earth Caught Fire


I deleted one (the tv question - sorry dad) I mutated the subgenre of another (sexy song to epic song) and since you can only delete one and mutate one I had to leave the mockumentary question although it's pretty limiting, I mean really, how many mockumentaries are there?


Now to annoy people by tagging them. I'm going to go with Ed Hardy, Jr of Shoot the Projectionist, Neil Sarver of The Bleeding Tree and Ken Lowery of Ringwood because Ed's a great guy who I owe a Halloween list to, Neil definitely knows his sub-genres and Ken's Ringwood blog is quite frankly hilariously random and off-color. One day it's videos of kittens and the next day it's profanity laced bile spewed at conservatives. There are many others I could tag. Dennis Cozzalio of Sergio Leone and Kimberly Lindbergs of Cinebeats are two favorites but they're also big time bloggers who don't need tagging from a little blogger like me (although if that's not the case Dennis or Kimberly let me know and I'll tag away - or just consider yourself tagged if you want to be). So there we go. That's my list and tags. Meme away!