Friday, October 29, 2010

Stamped in Time


I've never been a stamp collector, ever, but for whatever reason, in 1995, when these stamps were issued I just had to have them. It's the only sheet of stamps I've ever bought without the intent of using them. Looking at them the other day reminded me why: These classic monsters fill me with peace and contentment. Strange, that something originally intended to shock and horrify is now a source of comfort, but I suppose that's how classic horror is to a lot of people. The level of talent and skill on display and the sheer fun involved can't help but leave you smiling. Horror has grown so much I neither expect nor desire anything like these characters and actors to ever arise again, but it's nice to know we had them and they'll always be there when we need them, isn't it?

Click on the picture to see the details of the stamps full size.