Friday, December 5, 2008

Famous yes, but no Monster

Post Subtitle: Wanted - More Editors like Forrest Ackerman!

Much will be written in the next few days about Forrest J Ackerman, known as Forry to friends and readers. The editor of Famous Monsters magazine died December 4th at the age of 92. I'll let others detail his life gory to you. As for me, I'll make it short and sweet. You see, Forry taught me two things:

1. Movie fans can discuss film and still have fun. Especially when it concerns King Kong or Frankenstein.

2. Puns rule!

From page 29 of issue 100: "... but that joke by JIM WARREN certainly took the stake (as DRACULA once said to me while I was pounding home a point)." Yeah, pretty much every issue was like that. If you've ever read this blog with any regularity, you'll know why those two things are all I need to say about Forry. For the full story, check out the links on Greencine Daily. It's a story worth reading. In closing here are two pics I scanned out of that #100 issue just now. Rest in Peace Forry.