Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bonus Round - Name That Movie 10

Okay, here's the bonus round. After I put up the last one, The Day the Earth Caught Fire, it occured to me that I used it in Frames of Reference, my clip montage released back in June. Those clips, except for a few rentals, came from my DVD collection and these Name That Movie clips come from it as well. I thought it best to not use any more clips from DVDs I used for Frames of Reference lest someone just browse the list of titles in that montage to determine what movie it is. So from here on out there will be no more crossover. For this one I dug into my DVD collection to find something a little more obscure for most people. I suspect there aren't many who have seen it and the clip, while important, reveals nothing to anyone who hasn't seen it. So, uh, good luck.

******CLUE NUMBER ONE*****

The actor in the clip was a character actor who in the course of his career appeared in many well known and highly regarded films of the thirties and forties. He often played the villain. Interestingly, his name is the name of a character in a classic Russ Meyer film.

*****CLUE NUMBER TWO*****

The lead actor in this film would later win an Academy Award for Best Actor

*****CLUE NUMBER THREE*****

A third actor in the film was a pilot in World War I and later a stunt pilot. He was also a model airplane enthusiast who had hobby shops in the Los Angeles area until the sixties. During World War II his company created radio controlled target drones for the Army, some 15,000.

If you can figure out all three of those actors, and you should I hope from the clues, you've got it because they only appeared in one movie all together, this one. Two of them, the actor in this clip and the future Oscar winner, appeared again in another movie but this is the only one with all three together.

One last thing: Now that I've provided these clues be quick about it. Arbogast is out there somewhere, ready to pounce.