Tuesday, April 29, 2008

La Règle du Jeu

Welcome to the game which will start shortly. Here's how it works:

Once the game starts you will click on a link I provide to get things rolling. This will take you to a site with a riddle. That riddle will describe a movie or an actor or character clearly associated with it. For instance, let's use this very bad riddle as an example:

People make my blood boil

They make my hands quake

Cause when it comes to drilling oil

I drink your milkshake

Okay, that riddle was pretty sucky but unless you've been completely out of the movie loop for some time you should have immediately thought of There Will Be Blood.

So your next step is to type in therewillbeblood.blogspot.com in the address bar to go to the next riddle. Don't actually go to that site because it's not mine (it's a Russian blog for the curious).

Each riddle identifies a movie and that movie's title placed in front of blogspot.com takes you to the next riddle.

A word of caution: TYPE IN THE WHOLE TITLE. Don't leave out a "the" or an "a" that comes in front. If you think you know it but didn't get to the right place try a "the" or "a" in front of the title, or conversely, take them off. You'll know you're at the right place because each site has the same banner referring to the game. Also DON'T TRUNCATE. There is one movie that is often truncated but here I use the WHOLE TITLE (don't worry it's not that long). For instance, Sunrise (which is not used) is fully titled Sunrise A Song of Two Humans. Were Sunrise a part of the game (which again it is not) you would have to type the whole title, not just Sunrise.

There are eight movie riddles and then once you get to the eighth you are congratulated and given the link to the site with the question. Answer the question there, NOT HERE, to win the game. First one to answer the question wins a DVD of their choice provided it is $49.99 and under. The DVD pick and mailing will of course be dealt with by e-mail and I won't reveal what you chose unless you want me to but I do want to reveal who won so if you don't want your name used when I announce the winner don't play. And by name I mean the one you go by online. In other words if you're a well known pseudonymous blogger I of course would use the pseudonym (like The Siren or Arbogast) not your real name. I'm just saying I want to let everyone know who won so that's the deal.

And that's it. Personally I think the riddles are quite simple, in line with the ease of There Will Be Blood above. I used movies from the thirties on, but nothing past the seventies. However, they are all well known movies, nothing obscure. However, if you are stumped on one go ahead and comment there on that blog and if enough people are confused and comment I'll make the clues blunter so that everyone can move on.

And remember, it's a game of speed. When you get to the trivia question, don't spend time writing about how you knew what it was or you just watched it the other night or some other thing like that. By the time you hit "publish comment" someone else could have put up the answer. And the first comment with the right answer is the winner.

Good luck.

I'll put up the first link in a couple of minutes.