Thursday, April 10, 2008

Only Connect


I've got stories to tell but don't we all? As my cat would say (long story), "Here's the thing." I've always connected stories in my life to movies. Not right away mind you, in fact, sometimes not at all. But often, I'll think back to something that happened to me and think, "That makes me think of this movie." Now to be clear here's what I'm NOT saying. I'm not saying, "Remember that time I was trapped on that bus with the bomb underneath that would go off if the bus dropped to below 50 m.p.h.? That always makes me think of Speed." What I'm saying is something happens to me that has the same feeling I got from a given movie. The events themselves have nothing in common but produce a similar feeling.


I'm sure none of this makes too much sense right now but it will, hopefully, once you read my first Anecdotal Film Review tomorrow. I'm going to review films by relating a story. Nowhere in the story will be any mention of the film whatsoever. It's up to you, the reader, to interpret the story with the film any way you wish but hopefully, if you've seen the movie or even if you haven't, you'll understand why the story connects to the movie for me. But more than that, I do not intend this as a gimmick. I intend it as a legitimate way to review a movie. I don't see it as something many others would want to do, but I like the idea of it. I'll hope you'll agree. Sometimes the best way I can describe how I feel about something is to describe my feelings about something else. I certainly hope this makes sense to someone out there.

Part of this may come from recent experiences where I felt out of control with what I want to do, and so in an effort to distinguish this blog, personalize it. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm starting off with a story from my theatre days in college. It tells of one of my favorite teachers ever, what he meant to me and finishes with an event of happenstance that ended so perfectly it felt as if someone had scripted it. It has been burned into my memory since the day it happened. Years later the movie to be reviewed was released and after seeing it I thought of that story. Ironically, it's a recent film. Why is that ironic? Because I just had a comment discussion yesterday about blogs not covering old movies enough with Girish, who correctly assured me they do, on The House Next Door and here I am doing a recent film (well, recent if you consider the last ten years recent. I do.) Which movie it is you will see tomorrow. See you then.