Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Post Game Hangover

Well that was more fun than I thought it would be. I had a great time doing it and I'm glad a regular won. Not that I wouldn't want anyone to win, but it feels more like a family gift now rather than an anonymous prize for an anonymous player.

I'd like to do this again soon (by soon I mean next three months or so) and will announce the next one much further in advance.

By now, most of you have probably read the other posts on the subject relating as to why I was a little late in getting the first link up and how I blew it by not going to the first blog until after a large chunk of players had stalled there. All will be corrected next time.

And speaking of next time, is there a better time for everyone to do this? I was thinking non-working hours but frankly I'm pretty much offline after work until about ten at night. But if ten is good for everyone then I have no problem with it. The game would be over before 11:30 (8:30 West Coast time) and we could all go to bed. Let me know.

For the curious here are the links to the blogs and their respective riddles. The answer to the final trivia question is contained in the animated banner here.

First Riddle - Answer: The Bridge on the River Kwai

Second Riddle - Answer: Bunny Lake is Missing

Third Riddle - Answer: The Magnificent Ambersons

Fourth Riddle - Answer: My Man Godfrey

Fifth Riddle - Answer: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Sixth Riddle - Answer: A Letter to Three Wives

Seventh Riddle - Answer: The Thing From Another World

Eighth Riddle - Answer: A Countess From Hong Kong


The first riddle caused many problems. I was referring to The Lavender Hill Mob and The Man in the White Suit, both films with Alec Guinness being pursued either by the police or an angry mob, and then "bridging" across "water" as well as "what I've done" were in reference to the answer, The Bridge on River Kwai which contains Guinness' famous moment of realization, "What have I done?" If I did it again I would include the full quote "What have I done" rather than the contracted one "What I've done." I think that would have made it clearer. So, my bad. Yep, that bad belongs entirely to me. Don't ask anyone else to claim responsibility for that bad 'cause I own it. Suffice it to say, "Bad: Mine."

The rest didn't seem to cause any difficulty (or as much) until the last one but that was by design. I wanted the last one to be a little trickier than the others since it was the one that leads the player to the final question. Here it is:

My films are entrenched in the Pantheon

A notable place to be

But who would’ve guessed my last one

Would use the Method on the sea?

I've always found it interesting that Charlie Chaplin, an actor supremely skilled in pantomime ended his career with an actor known for being an exemplar of the modern "method" acting style, Marlon Brando. So that was the reference to "the Method" and since they're on a ship in the film, "on the sea." Which immediately made everyone think of Mutiny on the Bounty. That was by design. I thought more people would be thrown off by the Method line but it seems as if everyone who made it to that riddle immediately thought of Brando. Cool.

Congratulations again to Bill for successfully navigating the riddle-filled waters (riddle-riddled waters?) and making it through. Any thoughts on future games, ideas, times or just general suggestions are welcome. Thanks again everyone for making it so successful.