Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ice-capade!



Every so often here at Cinema Styles I put up a photo I've scanned from a movie that is unavailable on DVD. The photos come from any one of my many movie books. In most cases, it's a movie I want to see because I like the actors and have heard good things about the movie, I love the still, or both.

And then sometimes, I just want to know the freakin' context. Such is the case with today's photo, from the 1945 movie Out of this World with Eddie Bracken, Diana Lynn and Veronica Lake, a movie I've never seen. Here's the plot summary from IMDB: After struggling to become a success, Betty Miller and her all-girl orchestra finally hit pay dirt when crooner Herbie Fenton comes on board. Problems arise when Betty and her girls try to find backers to invest in Herbie and they sell 125 percent of him.

Eddie Bracken plays Herbie Fenton, Diana Lynn plays Betty Miller and Veronica Lake plays the wonderfully named Dorothy Dodge. Okay. But what the hell happens in the story that eventually leads to Bracken sitting on a block of ice in a shower stall with his shirt off?!? If anyone has seen this movie please fill me in! It's one of the most bizarre stills I've ever seen. And that facial expression!

Oh yeah, and if you haven't seen it, by all means, make something up. That pic's got too much potential entertainment value not to.