Thursday, January 22, 2009

Zzzzzzzzz...


[Jonathan makes loud snorting sound, wakes self up]. Huh, what? Oh hey everybody, I was just watching the Oscar nominations. So for Best Picture it's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk, The Reader, and Slumdog Millionaire. Well there you have...... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Snort, zzxxkzxz., hagl; ;ahljk apo. hUH, what/? Oh sorry, I fell asleep at the keyboard typing that last part. I haven't seen a lot of movies this year (maybe 12 or so) but I do know this: Sally Hawkins and Eddie Marsan gave two of the best performances of the year (Happy Go Lucky). I know this because unless it turns out that this year produced an abnormally abundant slate of great performances I can't imagine many actors outdoing either of them.

I also know this: Boring biopics still rule the day with the Academy. Having not seen all of the nominees I am putting my trust in Rick Olson, Fox, Pat Piper, Dennis Cozzalio and many other bloggers who have reviewed most of these and found at least the first three fairly lacking.

I'm not too surprised The Dark Knight didn't get nominated. After all the hype I figured the Academy might give in but no, they didn't. So, anyone else think there will be some kind of fan generated protest at the ceremony? Anyone else think maybe the Academy members are all counting on that? Not that they actually conspire or collectively think anything through, I mean simply now that it's happened, I bet they're happy, and hoping. The Dark Knight never stood a chance anyway. Let's face it, I was no big fan of the movie but that came from me not liking story, editing and directing choices. The Academy didn't like it because it's a comic book movie. They have always ignored horror, sci-fi and adventure. A few have gotten nominations for the top award (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Exorcist, Star Wars) but most, including 2001: A Space Odyssey and the original Superman were given the pass. After all, how could a movie about a broadly drawn adventure/sci-fi character be better than a movie about Forrest Gump aging backwards? Ugh.

My biggest disappointment is Happy Go Lucky but obviously it will be different for everyone. All I know is, this is one of the most boring list of noms I've seen in a long time. The Oscars? Try, Dog and Pony Show instead.